A POLEGLASS family are lucky to be alive after their home was targeted in a petrol bomb attack.
Mother-of-five Margaret Mongan was at her Ardcaoin Park home on Monday night with her eldest son Patrick when the attack took place.
Local Councillor Stephen Magennis said that petrol had been poured through a smashed window at the home and then set alight.
“This fire was so intense it had destroyed the smoke alarms in the property,” he said. “The Mongan family are traumatised enough without these attacks, having recently buried their young son in tragic circumstances.
“The home is now unliveable – it is destroyed, along with personal items that belonged to Ms Mongan’s son that can’t ever be replaced. We will do all we can to support the family and ask for them to be left in peace,” he added.
The Mongan home was targeted just two weeks ago in a similar attack when someone tried to set fire to the outside of the house. She had appealed through the Andersonstown News to be left alone to grieve for her 15-year-old son John who took his own life in May.
Sinn Féin MLA Jennifer McCann condemned the latest attack on the family.
“This was attempted murder on a vulnerable family and it is only by the grace of God that no-one was killed or seriously injured.
“The people responsible for this crime need to reflect on what they have done, not just to this family but to their immediate neighbours and the wider community also.
“Attacks of this nature which put people’s lives in danger will not be tolerated and must stop immediately. Those responsible need to be apprehended and charged and brought through the courts.”
A spokesperson for the PSNI said: “A 27-year-old male has been released on police bail pending further enquiries.”