The Crumlin Ardoyne Residents Association has said there is ‘nothing logical’ about the Orange Order’s renewed attempt to march past Ardoyne on the Crumlin Road on June 7.
The Loyal Order has filed for a march from Woodvale Parade along the Crumlin Road to Ligoniel for 9am on Monday, June 7.
The application includes provision for two bands and 140 members, and is set to be ruled on today (Thursday, May 29).
CARA, Sinn Féin and the SDLP all met with the Parades Commission on Wednesday over the parade.
Residents’ spokesman Joe Marley said they would be outlining their opposition.
“There seems to be some sort of notion among the loyal orders that the parade will get the go ahead.
“This is the fifth time they’ve tried to file for an early morning parade and there is nothing new in this. To overrule a determination already made by the Parades Commission would be absolutely absurd and there would be nothing logical about such a decision.
“We need to focus on July 2014 and not July 2013.”
Sinn Féin MLA Gerry Kelly, who was joined by Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness when they went to make a submission, said they were opposed to the parade.
“Myself and Martin McGuinness went in and we basically said any idea that there should be a parade on the 7th of June would be a catastrophe.
“We said we hoped they weren’t going to allow the parade, that there’s been a build up of rumours around this, nearly as if the loyalists are claiming that the decision had already been made. They assured us it wasn’t and we went though the reasons why (it should be refused).
“The core of our argument was there was a determination made on 12th of July 2013, and that determination should hold. No Parades Commission should overturn a determination that has already been made.”
Speaking to the North Belfast News, senior Orangeman Mervyn Gibson said the parade was an attempt to resolve the Twaddell issue.
“It’s just trying to resolve the issue, to get them home from last year. Full stop.
“I think (if it’s allowed to go ahead) it will resolve this issue that’s hung over from last year.”
He denied reports that it was a ‘last push’ before this year’s July 12 parade.
“I don’t know if it’s the last push because if it doesn’t get up the issue is still with us and it has to be resolved, but certainly there has been genuine efforts to resolve the issue to everyone’s satisfaction.”