By Staff Reporter

RESIDENTS living off the Dublin Road have expressed concern over plans for a new under-18’s “nightclub” which, they fear, could lead to rising noise and anti-social behaviour.

A licence is currently being sought from Belfast City Council for the club, called ‘The Factory’ above the former Burger King restaurant on the junction of the Dublin Road and Marcus Ward Street.

However, with over 100 residents living in apartments on the short street – including families and elderly residents – there are fears of community disruption should the venue be given the green light.

A meeting of the council’s Licensing Committee on Monday week ago deferred the decision on the entertainments licence, which would allow up to 300 teens on the premises until 11pm at weekends.

It was told how a ticketing system would ensure entry to the disco could only be granted through a parent or guardian’s credit or debit card and a strict no-alcohol policy would be enforced with any teen under the influence to be placed in a “holding room” before both police and parents were informed.

However, a resident living in flats opposite the site claimed it was a “naïve assumption” that teens attending the club would refrain from drinking, and claimed a nearby underage event saw teens previously gathering in the area to consume booze.

In a letter of objection to the council, the disgruntled resident said neighbours had not been consulted properly over the plan, and said an access point to the club would lead teens directly on to Marcus ward Street, just yards from their front door.

A spokesperson for Belfast City Council said the decision  had been deferred.

 

Please follow and like us:

Tags: ,